WHAT IS THE CLIMATE ACTION PLAN PROCESS?
The Environmental Protection Agency, or EPA provides a very basic implementation program for local governments to follow:
- Step 1: The first step was to create and develop a GHG inventory of Lemon Grove. Data provided by EPIC totals 129,400 MT CO2e/yr. This is the measurement of metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent per year.
- Step 2: The second step is an ongoing process that involves the entire community. It is important to reach out and communicate with our fellow constituents as well as maintain an open dialogue before, during and after the project.
- Step 3: Step three is to set goals and select actions for the City to maintain and promote. City Staff is working closely with the consultant support team to create and select these goals and actions.
- Step 4: Step 4 requires the City to obtain the necessary resources to complete the research, whether this is additional funding, staff, more technical expertise, etc.
- Step 5: The fifth step is designed to implement the goals and actions selected in the previous step. It is essential to take action to continue the process and promote a more green, environmentally-friendly City.
- Step 6: The last step is also an ongoing effort by the City and its constituents. It is especially important to recognize the successes and changes that come after implementing these goals and actions. This last step is to develop, track, analyze, and report on various markers and projected target dates to ensure the City’s continued efforts and successes.