City of Lemon Grove General Municipal Elections
The City of Lemon Grove conducts elections on the first Tuesday (after the first Monday) in November of even-numbered years. The next election will be on November 2020, to elect two City Councilmembers and Mayor.
Approximately four months prior to the November election date, Lemon Grove residents interested in running for office should contact the Lemon Grove City Clerk at (619) 825-3800. The time frame to file candidate paperwork will be from July 2019 to August 2019. If the incumbent City Councilmember fails to file, the time frame will be extended to August 2019.
- A candidate must be a United States citizen;
- 18 years old on or before the election day;
- A registered voter living in the City of Lemon Grove at the time nomination papers are issued (The City Clerk will verify voter registration with the County of San Diego Registrar of Voters.)
There are no City of Lemon Grove filing fees, however, candidates who choose to have their "Candidate Statement of Qualifications" printed in the sample ballot issued by the County Registrar of Voters must bear the actual cost of printing and distribution. Candidates who opt for this printing are required to pay the fee when the nomination paper and forms are filed with the Lemon Grove City Clerk.
Forms Required when Filing for Candidate Nomination
In accordance with State law, candidates are required to complete designated forms when filing for candidacy.
- Ballot Designation Worksheet.
- Candidate Statement of Qualifications (optional)
- Form 700 – Statement of Economic Interests
- Nomination Paper – with signatures of 20 City of Lemon Grove registered voters (the City Clerk will verify the voter signatures on the nomination paper with the San Diego County Registrar of Voters)
Please be aware that in accordance with State law, all statements and information submitted are a matter of public record and if requested, will be made available for public review.
Fair Political Practices Commission
To run for elected office the Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) requires that candidates provide financial disclosures. Click here for the FPPC's Local Candidate Campaign Disclosure Manual.
Campaign Contribution Limit
The Lemon Grove City Council campaign contribution limitation for 2019-2020 TBD. No person other than a candidate and no campaign treasurer shall solicit or accept, any contribution which will cause the total amount contributed by such person annually (calendar year), to exceed $TBD.
Salary and Benefits for the Mayor and City Councilmembers
- The Mayor receives a salary of $1,405.21 per month.
- Each Councilmember receives a salary of $803.00 per month.
- Monthly auto allowance of $175.00
- Additional benefits include $10,000 life insurance; medical and dental coverage.
City Council Meetings
Meetings are held on the first and third Tuesday of each month, commencing at 6:00 p.m. in the Lemon Grove Community Center at 3146 School Lane. Special meetings are called as needed.
City Council Appointment to Regional Boards and Commissions
Positions on San Diego County regional boards and commissions are appointed by the Mayor.