The City of Lemon Grove conducts elections on the first Tuesday (after the first Monday) in November of even-numbered years. The next election will be on November 2020, to elect Mayor and Two City Councilmembers.
Approximately four months prior to the November election date, Lemon Grove residents interested in running for office should contact the Lemon Grove City Clerk at (619) 825-3800. The time frame to file candidate paperwork is TBD by the Registrar of Voters the year of the Election. If the incumbent City Councilmember fails to file, the filing period is extended.
- A candidate must be a United States citizen;
- 18 years old on or before the election day;
- A registered voter living in the City of Lemon Grove at the time nomination papers are issued (The City Clerk will verify voter registration with the County of San Diego Registrar of Voters.)
Please be aware that in accordance with State law, all statements and information submitted are a matter of public record and if requested, will be made available for public review.
Salary and Benefits for the Mayor and City Councilmembers
- The Mayor receives a salary of $1,405.21 per month.
- Each Councilmember receives a salary of $803.00 per month.
- Monthly auto allowance of $175.00
- Additional benefits include $50,000. Medical, dental, and vision coverage.
Fair Political Practices Commission
- Fair Political Practice Commission (FPPC)
- To run for elected office the Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) requires that candidates provide financial disclosures. Click here for the FPPC's Local Candidate Campaign Disclosure Manual.
City Council Meetings
Meetings are held on the first and third Tuesday of each month, commencing at 6:00 p.m. in the Lemon Grove Community Center at 3146 School Lane. Special meetings are called as needed.
City Council Appointment to Regional Boards and Commissions
Positions on San Diego County regional boards and commissions are appointed by the Mayor.