The City of Lemon Grove conducts elections on the first Tuesday (after the first Monday) in November of even-numbered years. The next election will be in November 2018.
Approximately four months prior to the November election date, Lemon Grove residents interested in running for office should contact the Lemon Grove City Clerk at (619) 825-3800.
- A candidate must be a United States citizen;
- 18 years old on or before the election day;
- A registered voter living in the City of Lemon Grove at the time nomination papers are issued (The City Clerk will verify voter registration with the County of San Diego Registrar of Voters.)
There are no City of Lemon Grove filing fees, however, candidates who choose to have their "Candidate Statement of Qualifications" printed in the sample ballot issued by the County Registrar of Voters must bear the actual cost of printing and distribution. Candidates who opt for this printing are required to pay the fee when the nomination paper and forms are filed with the Lemon Grove City Clerk.
Forms Required when Filing for Candidate Nomination
In accordance with State law, candidates are required to complete designated forms when filing for candidacy.
- Ballot Designation Worksheet.
- Candidate Statement of Qualifications (optional)
- Form 700 – Statement of Economic Interests
- Nomination Paper – with signatures of 20 City of Lemon Grove registered voters (the City Clerk will verify the voter signatures on the nomination paper with the San Diego County Registrar of Voters)
Please be aware that in accordance with State law, all statements and information submitted are a matter of public record and if requested, will be made available for public review.
Salary and Benefits for the Mayor and City Councilmembers
- The Mayor receives a salary of $1,405.21 per month.
- Each Councilmember receives a salary of $803.00 per month.
- Monthly auto allowance of $175.00
- Additional benefits include $10,000 life insurance; medical and dental coverage.
City Council Meetings
Meetings are held on the first and third Tuesday of each month, commencing at 6:00 p.m. in the Lemon Grove Community Center at 3146 School Lane. Special meetings are called as needed.
City Council Appointment to Regional Boards and Commissions
Positions on San Diego County regional boards and commissions are appointed by the Mayor.
To run for elected office the Fair Politcial Practices Commission (FPPC) requires that candidates provide financial disclosures. Click here for the FPPC's Local Candidate Campaign Disclosure Manual.
how to become a candidate
- Everything you ever wanted to know, but were afraid to ask.Check out Facts for Voters. The San Diego County Registrar of Voters website is available in Espanol, Filipino, and Tieng Viet.
- Register to Vote or Verify Voter Registration Status.
- Remember: You must re-register if you have moved or changed your name.